[U] + POWERON != working usbboot

Kristoffer Ericson kristoffer.ericson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 05:39:56 EST 2010

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 05:31:38 +0000
Wolfgang Spraul <wolfgang at sharism.cc> wrote:

> Kristoffer,
> wow that sounded dramatic.

It got somewhat upset after awhile, but proved to be my fault :)

> Just fyi we now have binary Debian usbboot packages for both i386 amd amd64 at
> http://projects.qi-hardware.com/p/xburst-tools/downloads/
> I hope with the latest usbboot, plus latest u-boot, 'u'+POWERON will work
> stable. It does for me.

I would really appreciate tar.gz binaries also, instead of just debian.
Main reason is because if you use the host gcc (which is wrong) everything
will compile nicely but simply wont work. So for new/eager users wanting to compile
their own version this will most likely fail.

We could perhaps add some string inside the makefile checking if
CROSS_COMPILE=mipsel..blabla is set otherwise spit out that you will require
a crosscompiler.

> Another thing we need to get into usbboot are some improvements Lars made
> to his usbboot that are not committed yet AFAIK. For example he added
> a dump feature that allows full NAND dumping including OOB.
> I still experience a boot hang sometime late into the boot process, I believe
> it's NAND or UBIFS related (booting from microSD works), but standard usbboot
> cannot dump...

So far it has worked well for me to flash using usbboot so Im quite happy. The new
features sounds really good.
Currently Im not being able to mount the rootfs but thats because Im using
different kernel + different userland so I expect to have it sorted shortly.
/Kristoffer