Nanonote degrees of freedom

Bas Wijnen wijnen at debian.org
Sun Jan 24 07:41:39 EST 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 11:29:19PM -0800, Ron K. Jeffries wrote:
> My gut says there Nanonote may have a few area at boot
> such as magic bit patterns that set up memory etc etc
> that while not technically BLOBS are undocumented and simply
> reverse engineered from pre-existing non-free code.

The NanoNote boots from Nand or Usb.  In both cases, some setup is done
by on-chip read-only firmware (the type rms doesn't have a problem
with).  This should be small enough to disassemble and reverse-engineer,
should that be useful.

This is the sort of stuff I would eventually like to get rid of (or
opened), but it is very low on my priority list.  From what I read on
this list, I think the other people seem to agree (or don't care at all
;-))

Thanks,
Bas