Nanonote degrees of freedom

Bas Wijnen wijnen at debian.org
Sun Jan 24 09:02:10 EST 2010

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 08:54:12AM -0500, Daniel Clark wrote:
> (a) Wifi; yeeloong uses rtl8187b which doesn't need binary blobs /
> works under linux-libre

Doesn't it need binary blobs at all, or don't they need to be sent by
the software?  I'm not too familiar with wifi, but I thought all
chipsets required firmware to run.  I don't suppose the "blob" is free
software itself?

> > But in an ultra-pure world, where does one
> > draw a bright line between completely open and libre,
> > and almost completely open, but with shades of grey?
>
> This is a hard question; rms / fsf should be coming out with a nuanced
> and well-reasoned statement on that, with examples, sometime later
> this year.

I am very interested to hear this.  When it happens, I suppose you know
this before I do.  Would you please send a link to this list when the
statement is out?

Thanks,
Bas