[Company] Weekly Operations Update 3 and 4/2010

Bas Wijnen wijnen at debian.org
Tue Jan 26 00:48:37 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 08:29:58PM -0500, Wolfgang Spraul wrote:
> ---2 unique IDs and serial numbers
> I have a question: How do we, as the Qi Hardware project, feel about unique
> numbers and IDs in and on our devices, in general?

I think it may be useful to have a globally unique number printed on
each unit, so it is possible to hold them apart.  I am opposed to having
it in hardware, in a way that is readable by software (like the CPU ID
feature of Intel CPUs).  I don't see any reasonable use for this (that
can't be easily achieved without it).  It does make it hard to be
anonymous, possibly needing kernel hacks to avoid it to be read out.

> As a proposal, I would say we try to keep our products as anonymous as
> possible.  Use unique IDs only when they provide real value, and
> _ALWAYS_ disclose what kind of numbers we have in which place.

Good idea.  IMO it's fine to not have it printed on the side as well,
but having it there shouldn't be a problem: people know when it's read,
and can remove the sticker, should they want to.

Thanks,
Bas