NanoNote usbnet MAC addresses

Mikhail Gusarov dottedmag at dottedmag.net
Wed Jan 27 07:47:49 EST 2010

Twas brillig at 18:15:54 27.01.2010 UTC+06 when dottedmag at dottedmag.net did gyre and gimble:

 MG> Actually, I'm more interested whether Qi bought MAC address range
 MG> and if yes, then is it possible to donate several MAC addresses to
 MG> OpenInkpot?

I'm waiving this question, thanks to emdete who enligtened me on IRC channel:

<dottedmag> I am trying to snatch several MAC addresses for OpenInkpot
    and avoid buying whole "manufacturer id" which is expensive and
    gives 2^24 addresses.
<emdete> dottedmag: doesn't make much sense because you wont see those
    on an real ethernet...  agree?
<dottedmag> emdete: it makes sense for all kinds of network device
    management tools
<dottedmag> emdete: e.g. OS X network manager creates new device each
    time device is connected if MAC is random.
<emdete> sure, agree. but you don't need official ones.
<emdete> it's just that you need a static one - that may still be random
    and unofficial because no clashes

--
  http://fossarchy.blogspot.com/