NanoNote usbnet MAC addresses

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Wed Jan 27 08:44:49 EST 2010

Mikhail,
even though the question is already answered for you...

> Actually, I'm more interested whether Qi bought MAC address range and if
> yes, then is it possible to donate several MAC addresses to OpenInkpot?

No we did not buy a MAC address range. We did buy a USB vendor ID (0x20B7).
If it's needed one day we might have to buy a MAC address range as well, I
don't know at this point.
If we do so, while I am very happy about sharing this with other projects,
the contract with whoever hands out the address range may forbid us to do so.
For example, in the USB vendor ID contract it clearly says we are not allowed
to re-sell or otherwise offer 'our' vendor ID to others.
They want to get the fees from each company one by one :-)

We could look into the exact contract see whether non-profit free software
projects are exempt, or we might just ignore it but then who knows what kind
of punishments the contract would specify.

So bottom line - if we have unique IDs, like with the USB vendor ID, or MAC,
I am super open to sharing them, just ask. But realisticially it may not be
that easy :-)

Wolfgang