[Company] Weekly Operations Update 3 and 4/2010

Bas Wijnen wijnen at debian.org
Fri Jan 29 03:54:33 EST 2010

Hi,

While I see the use of serial nnumbers for support, I don't see any
reason to reserve a special piece of software-readable hardware for
them.  The whole thing is open hardware anyway, user who want to change
the number can do so.  Why is a software-readable number better than an
eye-readable number (on a removable sticker)?  I don't think it should
make a difference for support.

The privacy-implications aren't big, but I don't think it's a good idea
to add minor privacy-violating options, just because we can.

If it's about warrenty, there's no problem either.  It is completely
normal (and reasonable) to void the warrenty by removing (or damaging) a
sticker.

Thanks,
Bas