FOSDEM lightning talk slides was[Re: FOSDEM]

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Sat Jan 30 11:14:27 EST 2010

David,
beautiful presentation, congratulations!
Some typos here and there, but who cares. Maybe on the last page you could
have some small print saying "This entire presentation is licensed under...
maybe CC-BY-SA 3.0?.
The 'dmenu' picture on the first page has the metal sheet bent up (over the
speaker), oh well... But I wouldn't fix it - the dmenu screenshot is nice and
faking things with gimp is just not us.

The one thing that is missing for me is to explain copyleft hardware.
Why is the NanoNote worthy of being brought up at FOSDEM? Why is this not
just another gadget like so many others?

It's because we measure success as the point in time when there is another
company making improved versions of this device, or parts of it, under their
own name, they make money with it, and they don't pay a penny to us, only
relying on the copyleft nature of our licenses.
We are not successful (as copyleft hardware) until that happens.
We need to document the production steps much more thoroughly, lower the
barriers of entry for others to make improved versions. A LOT. Many things
are possible, but we are pioneers so it's hard and takes time.

"Go to the wiki or our list and join the project. _EVERY_ question about how
to produce the Nanos will be answered. Try this with other gadget makers :-)"
...something like that...

Not sure it fits into this presentation, or the other one Mirko and Jon
are having? But anyway I feel it's missing...
Other than that really a great presentation I think!
Good luck!
Wolfgang