80-column text for the Ben NanoNote

Magnus Bergman magnusbe at algonet.se
Thu Jul 1 13:33:33 EDT 2010

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:00:03 +1200
neil at dist.ro wrote:

> This ought to help explain what the un-fuzzy font is doing:
>
>   http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/LCD#pixels
>
> In short, the un-fuzziness is achieved by "borrowing" luminance from
> individual colour components of neighbouring pixels.  I don't think
> this technique can handle colour since it borrows from colour
> -components- based on their physical location within a pixel, not
> from whole pixels.  Having said that, black on a white background or
> any shade of grey on any other shade of grey should be possible.

I see. So this technique won't work for neighbouring pixels with equal
luminance (but different hue and/or saturation). But if the colors
contrast enough in luminance (lets say yellow on dark blue) it could
be possible to borrow luminance while preserving hue and saturation, at
least under some circumstances, right? Otherwise the technique could be
utilized only in the cases where neighbouring pixels happen to be black
and white. I guess I just have try it out and see how it looks.