3D Scanning

Daniel Clark dclark at pobox.com
Sun Jul 4 13:55:47 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Wolfgang Spraul <wolfgang at sharism.cc> wrote:
> James,
>
>> Yes. I'm a 3d modeler, so if you can give me a scan, I can use it for a
>> number of things. For one, I could help to design the next iteration, after
>> the ya, if you guys would like. I have some ideas, and having a model to
>
> Oh wow, that's great. We are still evaluating about how to do Ya in various
> places, will start bringing it together on the lists/irc/wiki/etc. soon.
> Maybe you can even help with the Ya?
> Let's see whether Daniel can get those 3D scans.
>
> Cheers,
> Wolfgang

So I'm getting a quote [1], need a few pieces of information:

1. What software will people be using to work with the results of any scans?

2. Desired format (mesh/STL, NURBS surfaces, reverse engineered)?

3. What are the file name extensions associated with those formats?

4. Accuracy required (eg how many significant digits)?

5. What is your end goal for the scan model?

(For 5, perhaps just "We have intellectual property rights to our
current case, but no 3D model. We need a 3D model to help to design
the next generation of case.")

Also, anyone have a broken Ben Nanonote or two they'd like to donate
to the cause? If so email me off-list.

[1] http://www.3dscanservices.com/quote.aspx

--
        \|/      Daniel JB Clark | Activist; Owner
FREEDOM -+-> INCLUDED ~ http://freedomincluded.com