proposal: how to the unify the user interface

Rafael Ignacio Zurita rafaelignacio.zurita at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 08:14:29 EDT 2010

Hello Mirko,
On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 11:27:23AM +0200, Mirko Vogt wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I'd like to pickup the discussion about how to exit applications on the
> NanoNote.
>
> As we're currently not using a X11-server and therewith do not have any
> window-manager, every application (or the toolkit the app is based on)
> has to take care by its own, how to quit the app and get back to the
> menu.
>
> I'd like to ask for / suggest combinations to make this possible in a
> consistent way.
>
> As <ESC> may be used for special functions within the application
> itself, I'd like to suggest a combination of <CTRL+q>.
>
> I'd like to also appeal - after we've reached consensus - to the
> programmers, to comply with this idea to get to an better and consistent
> user interface.

The consistent way should be done outside of every application.

If I understand well, would the idea be to add code in every application
to quit/exit?

If so, that is not a good idea I guess.
And I would suggest do not try to modify every application
to have the same behaviour for different tasks (like quit). Better
if you add some application which runs every application
on framebuffer, remembers the PIDs and controls those. It should
check for shortcuts and to react according the concensus in this
discussion.

If you add code inside of every application (for example to exit)
you will need to start a new discussion when you find another feature to add
to control the whole GUI. And modify all the applications again.

Regards,
Rafa