proposal: how to the unify the user interface

Rafael Ignacio Zurita rafaelignacio.zurita at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 12:06:14 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 04:45:40PM +0200, Mirko Vogt wrote:
> Hey Rafael,
>
> you're right - that it seems not being the best idea implementing such
> stuff in the applications itself.
> However I don't see any other way.
>
> Your proposal seems like a wrapper about applications, captching
> user-input, etc. to me.

So so.. Perhaps you just need an application which runs (fork/exec)
new programs, and also, open(/dev/input/event0, read_only) and reads
key events. If you find the proper pressed keys you can finish
your child process perhaps?

Thas is just an idea, because I did not want to talk about a complete
process manager like a window manager controls the windows on X,
just an easy way to control a bit the application on fb.

If you just need to end running applications perhaps you can
use the power button. One second button pressed finishes the
current application, longer power off.

> This is not (always) possible, as most applications grab such resources
> themselves (keyboard, etc.) when running directly on the framebuffer.
>
> DirectFB is an abstraction where such anapproach could be possible,
> however either applications does not work well with DirectFB (e.g.
> SDL-based ones) or they claim all such resources anyway (qt4).
>
> An agreement could be a lib which all such apps are linked against, to
> have one resource where such things are defined.

This idea sounds very interesting as well, but you need to rebuild every
application against this lib yet.

Rafa