NanoNote bricked by reflash

Oleg Sadov sadov at linux-ink.ru
Thu Jul 8 10:39:26 EDT 2010

08/07/2010 13:03 +0000, Wolfgang Spraul wrote:
> Oleg,

Hi Wolfgang, thanks for the quick answer!

> > Software & hardware (by shorting of "USB boot" pins in battery slot)
> > switching to USB-boot mode does not USB-port switch on.
> > When I switch another NanoNote to "USB boot", device 601a:4740 is
> > visible by 'lsusb' at the same computer.
>
> You mean you have 2 NanoNotes, and in one you can successully go into
> USB-boot mode with the USB boot pins and you see 0x601a:4740, but in
> the other one you cannot?

Yes, I have the second NN and switched this one to USB boot by Software
USB_BOOT method.

> > Does it possible direct NAND-reflashing, for example by JZ4720's JTAG,
> > or may be serial console connecting method may be helpful for me?
>
> No that wouldn't help. The CPU's boot ROM checks the USB boot pins and
> then enters USB boot mode. So there are only two options:
>
> 1) the CPU or board is electrically damaged/broken, then no matter what
> you have in NAND it would never boot anyway

I see the LED blinking during the plugging-in USB-cable and hear the
very low ticks from device.

> 2) on that second NanoNote, you didn't successfully short the USB boot
> pins. That is less likely if you are able to do it successfully on
> another device, but then since your problems started after reflashing,
> I highly suspect it's a simple problem of getting the CPU into USB
> boot mode (i.e. really shorting those two USB boot pins), and not
> another defect.

I've just trying HW USB_BOOT on the second device -- you are right, I've
got only standard boot after shorting the pins, not USB_BOOT.

> Are you shorting the USB boot pins with the carbonized rubber button?

No, I don't have this one near at hand at this moment -- I used the
metal connectors.

> Do you know another NanoNote user who could double-check the USB boot
> issue on your device?

No, I don't.

OK, Wolfgang, I will try to play with a shorting of USB_BOOT pins again.
Many thanks for your comments!

> Wolfgang

--Oleg