Serial port and gps issues

Bas Wijnen wijnen at debian.org
Fri Jul 9 11:17:12 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 09:50:54AM -0500, cristian paul peñaranda rojas wrote:
>  GPS works just when the TX pin from it is wired to the Nanonote RX (i confirmed cause both picocom and gpsd show data coming from)
>
>  But if RX is wired the tranmistion stoped :/, seems not be a power issue after tested with separate 3V3 power
>  Is not gpsd, it also happen with picocom terminal.

I haven't tried receiving on my serial port yet, but AFAIK it shouldn't
be a problem to do it simultaneously.

What I do know from serial ports in general, is that they can easily do
strange things.  In this case, it sounds like there is data sent by the
NanoNote, which confuses the gps.  Is it possible that the port is set
to echo things which are sent to it, for example?  You can disable this
with "stty -F /dev/ttyS0 -echo".

>  Peding dig using a xoscope to see what is really happening with data coming from gps

That would be my first debugging step as well.

Thanks,
Bas