Ben, next run ?

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Sun Jul 11 23:47:57 EDT 2010

[ Sent to the "developer" list. ]

Wolfgang,

with the Ben NanoNotes from the first production run gradually
being sold off, I was wondering what your plans are for making more
devices.

First of all, do you plan to make more Bens or do you think the
existing stock will be sufficient until the Ya is ready ? Or is it
too early to ask this question ?

If there are to be more Bens, do you plan to make them identical to
the existing ones or would you want to make changes ? In the latter
case, what kind of changes from the current design would be
possible or desirable ?

E.g., would you be comfortable with PCB layout changes ? BOM
changes ? Keyboard layout changes ? Even case layout changes ?
Would hardware changes that also require software changes be
acceptable ?

Are there perhaps any changes that are already planned ?

Examples of possibly desirable PCB layout changes that would not
require changes to existing software:

- add test points for DP1 and DM1 (USB host)
- add test points for ADIN1 (ADC)
- add test points for XN, YN, XP, and YP (touch screen)

Examples of possibly desirable PCB layout changes that would
require changes to existing software:

- move KEYIN8 (shared with UART RX) somewhere else
- move KEYIN6 and KEYIN7 (shared with I2C and PWM) somewhere else
- move the various KEYINx sitting on SSI aka SPI somewhere else