Ya: expansion bay idea

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Mon Jul 12 16:50:47 EDT 2010

Bas Wijnen wrote:
> If you just make a connector with some interesting
> pins (serial, some unused gpio), you can turn the ben into a mini-SAKC.
> :-)

I wasn't going as far as thinking of putting a connector, because
it would complicate the mechanical stacking and it may be difficult
to find something small enough that doesn't require too advanced a
daughter board.

Instead, I'd group test point that are likely to be of interest,
e.g., power, UART, SPI, I2C, PWM, maybe ADC, somewhere nearby,
so that one could solder connections without having to cross the
entire board.

Oh course, if there's a small connector that doesn't complicate the
stacking and that has an easily handled counterpart, why not. For
this, we'd need constraints for what sort of PCB technology (for
the daughter board) to require.

I'd kinda like to be able to use home-made boards, which means one
or two layers and not too many vias.