Ya: backlit keyboard - Rii Mini case study

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Tue Jul 13 11:41:22 EDT 2010

Werner,

> http://www.almesberger.net/misc/ben/rii-outside.jpg
> http://www.almesberger.net/misc/ben/rii-inside.jpg
> There's one white LED every four buttons, plus a few extras for the
> cursor keys. That's 22 in total.

Nice pictures, this is really helpful. The keyboard design looks similar
to the Ben NanoNote keyboard, good to see how others solved the backlight
problem.

> By the way, the RF transceiver they use is a Cypress CYRF6936
> (WirelessUSB, 2.4 GHz band.)
> http://www.cypress.com/?docID=8979

Does this have anything to do with 'USB'? First time I hear about WirelessUSB.
Wikipedia says WirelessUSB operates at 3.1 to 10.6 GHz, but the Cypress chip
talks about 2.4 GHz?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirelessusb

Maybe to look at RF in Ya, we should first identify some interesting, free
software / GPL licensed stacks? Then find a matching module/RF IC for it?
Are you aware of any good and stable RF protocol stacks implemented in
free software?

Wolfgang