3D Scanning

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viriketo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 14:38:41 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 02:14:46PM -0400, James Xakh Lynch wrote:
> Anyone know if blender can open these?

Those files include only the 'points', but not the triangulation (so what points
make a triangle).
The original program has to know the triangulation (the mesh); somehow that was lost
exporting. There are algorithms to get the mesh later from a cloud of points
(without their surface normals) - for example, Delaunay 3D - but that should not
be needed in this case as the original program knows all.

Once having scans of every possible side, a 'global registration' algorithm has
to match all together, and an integration algorithm has to remesh them all to
get a single mesh.

I'll try to work on that (with more accurate scans) once having a nanonote at hand.

Regards,
Lluís.