3D Scanning

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Tue Jul 13 17:00:43 EDT 2010

James Xakh Lynch wrote:
> Oops, sorry, my message sent out too soon. Anyway, how many of you can
> print, as well as scan, and those of you with 3d printing capabilities, what
> materials can you use?

I can mill (with a Roland "Modela" MDX-15). Materials ... so far,
I've tried wood, pertinax, FR4, and aluminium (hard and soft alloys).
MDF, wax, and various plastics should also be fine. I can't do iron,
steel, and other hard metals.

The mill has only 3 axes, so it can't do overhangs, lateral holes,
etc. Backsides are possible, but require manual repositioning, along
with all the problems this brings.