WLAN vs. other ISM (was Re: Ya: backlit keyboard - Rii Mini case study)

James "Xakh" Lynch superstuff7 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 09:39:22 EDT 2010

Very true, but what of that microSD adapter for wlan? It seemed to be new,
well supported, and open, so I'm not seeing the problem here, I guess.

On Jul 14, 2010 5:41 AM, "Werner Almesberger" <werner at openmoko.org> wrote:

Ron K. Jeffries wrote:
> What I don't understand is how/why purity
> of the copyleft philosophy trumps having a highly
> desirable capability -- untethered internet access

Perhaps Wolfgang can share the results of his search for an Open
hardware friendly WiFi module. There may be more than just
ideological issues at play.

Remember the troubles we had with the AR6k in the FreeRunner:
firmware that's closed, buggy, and abandoned by the manufacturer.
We had sources for the kernel driver, but it was still almost as
bad an experience as we've had with GPS in GTA01.

If the choices available for WiFi come with characteristics
promising a repetition of that previous disaster, it wouldn't be
such a good idea to sign up for more pain.

Subscribe or Unsubscribe: