vertical space (was Re: 3D Scanning)

Carlos Camargo cicamargoba at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 10:58:41 EDT 2010

Is a good idea, right now, the keyboard layout make hard to route the
processor / signals (with 4 layers) If we move the processor, (ram+nand) +
LCD's back-light circuit to the same board we can design a lot of different
"keyboard pcbs" using a two layer PCB. So, we can provide some special
signals in the flexible tape (20 lines in BEN). Mandatoty signals: GND, VCC,
usb (2) SD(7) Audio(6) keyboard (16)

With this architecture the "main"bord is the LCD board and the daughter card
will be the keyboard pcb, so if any want to design a different application
just need to make one cheap card.

Carlos

2010/7/14 Andrés Calderón <andres.calderon at emqbit.com>

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 5:12 AM, Werner Almesberger <werner at openmoko.org>
> wrote:
> > Ron K. Jeffries wrote:
> >> Let;s consider at the same time increasing the vertical depth
> >> of the bottom half of the nanonote case, to allow greater freedom for
> >> adding PCB(s).
> >
> > Hmm, it'a already fairly thick compared to the other dimensions.
> > Another way to get more space would be to reduce the size of the
> > main PCB.
> >
> > The total vertical space available at the moment is quite large,
> > so most modern components - including many connectors - should
> > fit.
> >
> > You can also tweak things a little to save space. For example,
> > I used the following techniques for IDBG:
> >

> What if the LCD PCBs is replaced by a new PCB with the SoC, RAM and
> FLASH (and the LCD DC/DC converter, of course). May be enough room for
> this components behind the LCD .
>
> Thus, the keyboard PCB is available for anything.
>
> BR,
>
>    Andrés Calderón
>    Cel:     +57 (300) 275 3666
>
> > - use of a thin PCB. At the DIY electronics corner shop, you'll
> >  typically find PCBs with a thickness of 1.6 mm. For such a
> >  small board, 0.8 mm are more than sufficient. They're a little
> >  harder to obtain, but they exist. You can even find bare PCBs
> >  as thin as 0.4 mm.
> >
> > - use of a mid-mounted component. The USB receptacle is not
> >  mounted above the board but it rests in a hole in the board,
> >  saving 1.25 mm of precious height.
> >
> >  See also
> >  http://www.almesberger.net/misc/ben/idbg-v1-pcb.jpg
> >  and
> >  http://www.almesberger.net/misc/ben/idbg-v1-side.jpg
> >
> > - case modding. The whole assembly was still a little too thick
> >  to fit. So I dug a hole for the top of the connector:
> >
> >  http://www.almesberger.net/misc/ben/idbg-v1-hole.jpg
> >
> > Most of this could also be applied to other designs.
> >
> > - Werner

Carlos Iván Camargo Bareño
Profesor Asistente
Universidad Nacional de Colombia