Open Hardware Creative Commons Draft

Carlos Camargo cicamargoba at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 09:46:21 EDT 2010

I think that in the point 1 there is a missing feature: You can use
privative (expensive, closed) software for design entry, you can release the
design files, but you need to pay a big amount of money for the software and
then you can modify the design files. Is important the use of open software
tools like kicad, or geda for design entry. if not, only big companies can
modify the design files.

Another topic is the hardware cost, you can release a hardware project that
use 12 layer PCB, restricted ICs (some ICs are sold in big quantities, you
must sign a NDA, you must pay for use it, etc), complicated and expensive
mounting techniques. I think that is necessary create a "level of freedom",
of course if you have money you can reproduce anything, but again, just few
people can modify and reproduce the design. Imagine this situation in SW, if
the people need to pay a lot of money for modify a SW project, just few
people wuld be part of FOSS initiative . The level of freedom is related
with the hardware cost, and this cost increase with the complexity and with
the proximity to the silicon, I mean, you can modify one IC, but is very
expensive, you can modify a laptop main board but is expensive. The
manufacture cost vary from country to country, so is necessary take account
of the prices of the manufacturing process in this classification.

Carlos

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Bas Wijnen <wijnen at debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for letting us know!
>
> There's just one thing which surprises me:
>
> > OSHW Draft Definition 0.3 is based on the Open Source Definition for
> > Open Source Software and draft OSHW definition 0.2
>
> but while I see an almost exact quotation of most parts of the Debian
> Free Software Guidelines, they are not mentioned.
>
> Not that it's a problem, there's no attribution required for them, and I
> certainly do like them, so it's good to base something on them.  I'm
> just surprised there's no mention anywhere.
>
> Anyway, this is an important step IMO.  I'm happy I don't have to take
> it, since I don't like reading licenses, let alone write them, but it
> must be done.
>
> Thanks,
> Bas

Carlos Iván Camargo Bareño