3D Scanning

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Fri Jul 16 06:52:51 EDT 2010

I wrote:
> A 0.1 mm scan is
> running now and should finish Friday morning UTC.

The best-laid plans of mice and men ... yesterday, a brown-out took
the PC doing the scanning down and along with it the ~50% complete
scan. So I restarted it. Today, I thought I'd outsmart Murphy and
take a snapshot of the virtual machine at 35%. Murphy likes it when
we get cocky, and the application hung after the snapshot.

Anyway, I've uploaded the 35% I have for now. The "RESET" isn't
quite readable but the "MICRO SD" looks pretty good.

http://www.almesberger.net/misc/ben/scan/

Note that there seems to be an anomaly in all of the scans: at the
location of the LED hole on the right side of the bottom shell, the
case appears to have a dent. There is none in reality. Note sure
what causes this artefact - maybe the transition from hard plastic
to rubber somehow confuses the scanner.