Open Hardware Creative Commons Draft

nebajoth nebajoth at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 16:19:57 EDT 2010

Hello,
   Carlos is making a fairly good point, here, I think.  Open source is
an easier mode to adopt in software, due to the near frictionless way
you can make identical copies of an original.  All you need is a PC, and
possibly the Internet, and you can make bit-for-bit copies of original
media.

The same cannot be said of hardware.  Even with self-bootstrapped 3d
printers like the RepRap, there is a tangible cost to the production of
the RepRap and the subsequent production of every single NanoNote you
make with it.  To share the exact same strengths and characteristics as
open source software, the NanoNote would have to be producible at
effectively zero cost.

In other words, short of some kind of Star Trek breakthrough in the next
decade, we're forced to at least echo the techniques and idiom of
proprietary hardware to some extent.  Bulk purchases of accessory items,
interim deals with proprietary devils (and proprietary not-so-devils
like our friends at Ingenic) while truly open alternatives are created,
and going out and talking to, and wheeling and dealing with, proprietary
incumbents in the industry (thank you, Wolfgang!) are all things we
probably cannot leave behind this year, or next year, or the year after
that.  We can marginalize them, work towards their extinction, but I
question whether we'll ever be able to leave the behind entirely.