Ya: backlit keyboard - Rii Mini case study

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Fri Jul 16 19:23:50 EDT 2010

Werner,
before it vanished into our vast archives...

> > Are you aware of any good and stable RF protocol stacks implemented in
> > free software?
>
> Nothing interesting beyond things that have already been mentioned.
> I would in fact go one step back and look for Open standards, not
> necessarily implementations.
>
> Here's a very rough compilation of things I found so far for the
> ISM bands that aren't flat out "vendor standards":
>                 Band    Rb      Range Modulation Openness/Patents       Ref.
>                 434 915 kbps    m                Standard       Use
>                 | 868 2.4       (nom)
>                 | | | |
> Bluetooth
>   Wibree        - - - x    1000  10   ?          "open"         ?       [8]
> IEEE 802.15.4   - x x x  20-250   ?   many       open [11]      ?       [11]
>   6LoWPAN       n/a      n/a    n/a   n/a        open [10]      open?   [9]
>   MiWi          - - - x    -250   ?   ?          unpublished    ?       [13]

EXCELLENT TABLE! Yes I agree we should go one step back and find an open
standard first. I didn't know about DASH7 and Wavenis, but from a quick
look it seems they are closed?

If anybody has more information on such open RF protocol stacks, please share.
We'll definitely get back to this later...
Wolfgang