Open Hardware Creative Commons Draft

jon at rejon.org jon at rejon.org
Sat Jul 17 03:43:09 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 1:21 PM, cristian paul peñaranda rojas
<paul at kristianpaul.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 10:10:49AM -0700, jon at rejon.org wrote:
>> Agree.
>> > I like how wolfgang puts it. Copyleft Hardware is the embodiment of
>> Copyleft Software.
>>

> sounds great
>
>> Thus, you can have Richard Stallman and so many other Free Software
>> advocates who are OK with running their Free Software stack on
>> proprietary hardware. Isn't that a disconnect?
>
> I think is just fair ignorance, they grow in a sofware enviroment
> in time in wich hardware insides were in disclosure,
> now that we know we can go futher they should listen to us as we
> did with copyleft sofware.

I completely agree with you. Right, lets think about this. Isn't it
that RMS couldn't get the first laser printer to work with his
computer which led to him to demand for the access to the source code
to be able to alter the print, which then led to eventual free
software revolution

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman#Decline_of_MIT.27s_hacker_culture

Could we not take this argument a few steps further? Why didn't he
demand for the specs sheets for the hardware, or in a more modern era,
why not get all the spec sheets, the software for making the chips,
and then just write it from scratch himself?

<snip />

--
Jon Phillips
http://rejon.org/