Chie: open source reconfigurable network camera

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Fri Jul 23 03:47:33 EDT 2010

Jon,

> What uses do you have in mind for this?

Andres since renamed this project to Xué. I think many details are still
emerging, we all don't know and it depends on what people think, what kind
of contribution they can make, and where we collectively take this project.

What do we have today?

Andres is interested in cameras built out of free technology for years. He
is thinking about applications in security cameras, or traffic control
applications, also as a business model for their company emqbit.com
When I did the Milkymist presentation in Bogota, Andres saw an opportunity
to build an entirely fpga-based camera by reusing the Milkymist SoC.

Maybe as a first goal we should just try to make a proof-of-concept board
(no enclosure), as affordable as possible? So basically that would be along
the lines of Andres block diagram?
http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/File:CHIE-rNC_blocks.png

Maybe 1 CMOS is enough, and maybe it doesn't need to be 5 megapixel right
away? I think the board can have a simple M12 mount and we can find a
nice megapixel board lense for 10-20 USD.
The most important thing now on my end is to learn more about CMOS
sensors and lenses. If anybody can contribute more CMOS sensors here in
the wiki that would be great:
http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Xue/sensors

What else? Which application do you think we should do first?

I guess I just want a camera to replace my Canon Ixus, mobile, cheap, maybe
power it with a large USB solar panel power supply :-) I could imagine
marketing that as well...
Wolfgang