Xue: open source reconfigurable network camera

Andrés Calderón andres.calderon at emqbit.com
Sun Jul 25 12:37:08 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Wolfgang Spraul <wolfgang at sharism.cc> wrote:
> Andres,
>
>> Galaxycore seems to be a very interesting new player. The growth of
>> its market share has been amazing.
>
> Yes they are Chinese - it seems they mostly have low-end sensors right now
> though. And on their homepage, they cannot repeat often enough how proud
> they are of the many patents in their sensors. Makes me wonder who is
> actually attracted by that?
>
> We won't make our own copyleft CMOS image sensors anytime soon, let's
> free the stuff above that first, so yes, if Galaxycore has good enough
> quality sensors why not. We need to look into availability though.
> Does Galaxycore publish usable datasheets?
>
> I would probably feel better to go with one of the big established names
> first, like Aptina/Samsung/Omnivision? Or a smaller Japanese company if
> they have something very attractive, especially on the openness side.
>
> We'll keep learning...

So far my favorite CMOS image sensor:
http://www.aptina.com/products/image_sensors/mt9m033c12stc

 Big pixel size: 3.75µm
 Optical format: 1/3 inch (M12 lens compatible)
 Active Pixel Array: 1,280H x 960V  (HD 720p video @ 60 fps)
 But the most exiting feature: wide dynamic range (WDR) up to 120dB.

The bad news... Part Status: Sampling

An MT9M033C12STC video demo:
http://www.altera.com/education/webcasts/videos/videos-image-processing-fpgas.html

The initial comparison of the sensors are doing in:
http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Xue/sensors

    Andrés Calderón
    Gtalk:  andresfcalderon at gmail.com
    Web:    www.emqbit.com