The Frankencamera

Marco Castorina marco.castorina at yahoo.it
Sun Jul 25 17:09:59 EDT 2010

> Particularly  computational optics could also be interesting for
> reducing the cost of  camera hardware. Why have fancy lens and
> zoom systems if you can just  reconstruct the image from wherever
> the photons happen to hit your sensor  ?

I know a little about digital photography: yes you can use digital
zoom but what it does is using just a part of the CMOS and
calculate the pixels from there for the full resolution image. This
leads to a loss of quality in the image, thus the use of the fancy
lenses for zoom :-). Of course, depending on the application it's
intended to, such a loss could be negligible.

More detailed explanation here:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/image-interpolation.htm

Just my 2 cents.

--