The Frankencamera

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Sun Jul 25 17:30:50 EDT 2010

Marco Castorina wrote:
> I know a little about digital photography: yes you can use digital
> zoom but what it does is using just a part of the CMOS and
> calculate the pixels from there for the full resolution image.

Ah, zoom was a bad example. You're right, digital zoom just throws
away information and interpolates the rest.

What I meant was, instead of using optics to create an undistorted
small image on the sensor, one could use a distorted image and
algorithmically reconstruct the undistorted image. Like they did
it with the Hubble :-)

For zoom, you'd still have to change the angle of view, but you
wouldn't need the complex optics that make sure the image doesn't
get distorted when changing the focal length.