A scanner grayly

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Thu Jul 29 16:33:34 EDT 2010

cristian paul pe?aranda rojas wrote:
> I think you should share this results on heekscad users list

Oh, they already know how good it is :-) There are even better
examples that come with HeeksPython.

By the way, I now managed to run my mill with a toolpath generated
by HeeksCAD. There are still a number of problems in HeeksCAD that
make this a little awkward and then some more problems in my setup,
that make the milling less precise than it could be.

I made a test version of the counterweight from regular candle wax.
Candle wax is very brittle, so this piece broke after a few
insertions, but it still shows that the shape fits:

http://www.almesberger.net/misc/ben/cw/cw-wax-back.jpg
http://www.almesberger.net/misc/ben/cw/cw-wax-front.jpg

The jagged edges are an artefact of the kind of tool path I
generated. I could add another pass that makes a clean cut.

At it thickest points, the counterweight should be 2.4 mm. The
wax model is between 2.2 mm and 2.5 mm:

http://www.almesberger.net/misc/ben/cw/cw-wax-left-thick.jpg
http://www.almesberger.net/misc/ben/cw/cw-wax-right-thick.jpg

(This imprecision is caused by my setup. Again, something I can
compensate for with a bit more effort.)