A scanner grayly

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Sat Jul 31 22:05:31 EDT 2010

Llu?s Batlle i Rossell wrote:
> This is what I planned to use. I think it's the most capable current
> program on that.

Great, thanks for the confirmation ! At the moment, the "full"
version doesn't seem to want to build, but the "mini" version does.
Are you using it on Linux ? If yes, which SVN revision ?

> You may want to try also some software from Stanford, like this:
> http://www-graphics.stanford.edu/software/vrip/

I'll have a look at it, thanks !

> I have an optical scanner, so I can do a scan in a few seconds,

Oh, the envy ... :)

My scanner doesn't like soft materials, such as the rubber sheet
underneath the keyboard. They cause errors, mainly in the direction
in which the scanner's head moves, i.e., X+. I'll make scans with
the piece rotated by 180 degrees, which should have the errors on
the opposite side, but maybe an optical scan could be more accurate
for this. Of course, the relative transparency of the rubber sheet
may defeat this kind of scanner, too.

Meanwhile, we now have both sides of the battery cover at a 100 um
X/Y resolution. This means that one could overlay them, take the
intersection, and have our first 3D solid. I tried to do this with
MeshLab, but I couldn't figure out how to translate without
resetting the rotation, and vice versa. If anyone could give this a
try, that would be great.

I've also given the Web page a bit of a facelift, categorized the
scans, added more comments, and switched from copy and paste in the
ever-growing HTML file to using a shell script to generate the
content.

Last but not least, I now started a series of scans of the unhinged
base structure of the display shell. Sharism sent me individual case
parts, which allows me to properly scan things that are hard to
separate from other parts in the finished device. This is one of
them.

This time, I did the screenshots with MeshLab, which I think looks
even nicer than HeeksCAD. It has a perspective that looks more
natural than HeeksCAD's, and one can load various meshes without
changing the view. Dr.PICZA resets the view, which made it difficult
to show all the screenshots of a series of scans in the same way.