JLiMe MuffinMan Beta Release

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Mon Jun 14 10:09:38 EDT 2010

Rafa,

> We already know that the Qi NN official project should not include
> patented codecs stuff. So I think, like David already suggested,
> that we are not going to talk about if Jlime includes patented codecs
> players (if there are) in Qi public mailing lists. Sorry if we did before.
> Great!. That would be really useful, so we do not make mistakes when,
> for example, we edit Qi wiki pages.

You guys please feel totally free. Would be a shame if the patent parasites
also limited our freedom of speech.
The requirement to remove links is a legal requirement that only affects
distributors of hardware in patent affected countries. Of course we will
comply so that our distributors there are not held accountible for
infringing on patents (specifically we are aware of MP3, MPEG4 and H.264
right now).

So basically - if you email links (URLs) to the list, or add them to the
wiki, or mention them in IRC, me or others will remove those links from
the mailing list archives or the wiki or the irclogs. But that shouldn't
stop you from talking, neither on your own channels nor via these mailing
lists, until now afaik an infringement case could only be brought forward
if we would not take down infringing links, but we don't have to completely
stop free speech. mailman and the smtp protocol keep up and running, so
does IRC, twitter, etc.

Keep talking! :-)
And congrats again for this great JLiMe release, even if it's just beta now :-)
Wolfgang