UL listing

Daniel Clark dclark at pobox.com
Thu Jun 17 15:32:48 EDT 2010

My friend Scott is interested in designing a remote control power
device that would be under a libre license.

My company would then seek to have the device manufactured in some quantity.

(This was a result of looking for and not finding any free software
friendly remote control power devices on the market, or pretty much
anything except one really sketchy device on the low end.)

These devices are used for out-of-band-management of servers in
co-location facilities, server rooms etc. Used in combination with
libre firmware that allows everything to do be done via a serial port,
and correct OS setup to do the same, you can have near "being there"
equivalence.

The question of UL listing has come up, and I'd like to know if anyone
on the list could speak to that.

Specifically:

Do we need it at all?

Can we get around it (eg a kit form with two or three easy to put
together pieces)?

Has anyone gone through the process, and if so could you tell us what
your estimated expenses to get the certification were?

I have web searched for this but haven't found any useful references,
so if you just have useful URLs that would help a lot :-)

Thanks,
--
        \|/      Daniel JB Clark | Activist; Owner
FREEDOM -+-> INCLUDED ~ http://freedomincluded.com