UL listing

Ron K. Jeffries rjeffries at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 15:38:13 EDT 2010

UL applies when there is mains power.
With Nanote, if the power supply for charging is UL or CSA
certified, that is the only safety requirement.

Ron K. Jeffries

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:32, Daniel Clark <dclark at pobox.com> wrote:
> My friend Scott is interested in designing a remote control power
> device that would be under a libre license.
> My company would then seek to have the device manufactured in some quantity.
> (This was a result of looking for and not finding any free software
> friendly remote control power devices on the market, or pretty much
> anything except one really sketchy device on the low end.)
> These devices are used for out-of-band-management of servers in
> co-location facilities, server rooms etc. Used in combination with
> libre firmware that allows everything to do be done via a serial port,
> and correct OS setup to do the same, you can have near "being there"
> equivalence.
> The question of UL listing has come up, and I'd like to know if anyone
> on the list could speak to that.
> Specifically:
> Do we need it at all?
> Can we get around it (eg a kit form with two or three easy to put
> together pieces)?
> Has anyone gone through the process, and if so could you tell us what
> your estimated expenses to get the certification were?
> I have web searched for this but haven't found any useful references,
> so if you just have useful URLs that would help a lot :-)
> Thanks,
> --
>        \|/      Daniel JB Clark | Activist; Owner
> FREEDOM -+-> INCLUDED ~ http://freedomincluded.com
>        /|\      Free Software respecting hardware
> _______________________________________________
> Qi Developer Mailing List
> Mail to list (members only): developer at lists.qi-hardware.com
> Subscribe or Unsubscribe: http://en.qi-hardware.com/mailman/listinfo/developer

More information about the discussion mailing list