HopeRF feedback

Ron K. Jeffries rjeffries at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 17:36:02 EDT 2010

That device from JEE Labs is clever
http://news.jeelabs.org/2009/06/24/meet-the-jeelink/
It's an AVR microcontroller +  HopeRF radio plus and
indeed has a USB port.

Jean-Claude Wippler, the owner of Jee Lab
is using on-off keying [OOK] a very simple modulation
with his own very simply higher level protocol. Appropriate
applications include home control, talking to a weather station
or making a DIY garage door opener etc.

Those are all VERY fun, Arduino style projects.
But using 816/915 MHz as the primary radio on a small general purpose
computer will not provide the single
most valuable new feature for Nanonote: Internet access
without needing to tether to another computer.

Unlike 2.4GHz for WiFi,there is not one single standard
in ISM band that can be used in bother Europe and the USA.

So for an add-on dongle, you need two models
   Europe 868MHz
   US 915 MHz
not a big deal. but for something built into a device such
as the follow-up to Nanonote, one does not want the hassle
of TWO models with different radios.

WiFi has become ultra cheap and is a global standard.
it is the practical solution, and by using the Atheros
chipset open source drivers are available.