Congratz on being slashdotted

Christopher Harrington ironiridis at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 23:31:40 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 22:05, Ron K. Jeffries <rjeffries at gmail.com> wrote:

> [to stimulate discussion]
>
> I'm puzzled about where it makes sense to draw the
> line when speaking of copyleft hardware.
>
> For example, what about a static RAM chip,
> or an LCD display module, a NAND chip
> or a microSD memory chip?
>
> Does an off-the-shelf voltage regulator pass the test?

http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Components/LD1117V33.pdf

The diagram on page 1 of this spec sheet shows the behavior of this common
voltage regulator part. I assume the diagram itself isn't copyrighted or
restricted for redistribution or modification, which would make it fit my
idea of "copyleft".

> ---
> Ron K. Jeffries
>

> On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 19:32, Christopher Harrington
> <ironiridis at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 19:32, Wolfgang Spraul <wolfgang at sharism.cc>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> You are absolutely right about the CPU. I keep thinking about
> Christopher
> >> Harrison the other day on this list and his whole grain crackers
> >
> > Heh.
> >
> > This does at least affirm my concern that I'm not the only one who felt
> > confused about the nature of the hardware.
> >
> > It should be possible to build a completely copyleft bluetooth device
> > without too much frustration. The RF protocol is well-defined and less
> > complex than 802.11a/b/g/n. If wireless networking is an absolutely
> > do-or-die feature, I think that's what should be targeted first.
> >
> > The bluetooth stack in Linux is extremely complete and robust, too.
> >
> > --
> > -Chris Harrington
> > Phone: 612.598.3650

-Chris Harrington