install debian in nanonote

Dylan Herbert nebajoth at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 11:32:28 EDT 2010

The only debian image I could get to work was the one linked to from
tuxbrain's howto.  I highly recommend switching to the u-boot provided by
Xiangfu Liu that logs kernel messages to tty1 properly so you can debug
kernel boot errors.

I have found that apt will choke with a Bus Error or "failure to fork" due
to the inability to allocate enough memory -- especially when trying to
unpack large debs (such as linux-headers).  This will cause a nightmare of
broken half-installed packages.  The fix for this is to give the unit more
memory to work with by using a microsd as swap space.  I have a 1GB microsd
card that I put in the unit when I want to do an "apt-get upgrade".  /sbin/
is not in the $PATH by default so you have to either add it (export
PATH=$PATH:/sbin), or invoke /sbin/mkswap /dev/mmcblk0p1, /sbin/swapon
/dev/mmcblk0p1 explicitly.

I have also gotten sound working on the NN by copying the module list from
openwrt to /etc/modules in the debian image.  It is loud. :O

I plan to share these changes more completely (add them to the wiki, release
updated files as needed, etc) as soon as I get home after the weekend.