Suspend to disk? SD-HD

Rubén Berenguel ruben at mostlymaths.net
Mon Jun 7 06:52:32 EDT 2010

Hi eveyrone,

I have one small question. Has anyone tried setting up "suspend to
disk" with a microSD? If not, I'll try it tonight/this week (today I'm
buying a microSD for swap). If suspend to disk means quicker
powerup... welcome it is! As the nano stands now, it can live all day
with the battery charged... but it is pointless for it to be all day
idle (suspend to ram) when I am not really using it. I use usually in
short bursts, I can wait 5 seconds or so for it to power up if needed
if the battery life gets extended.

As a side note, yesterday before falling asleep I had an idea, maybe
for the Ya, maybe not. I'm no engineer. But, "what if" the hard disk
of the Ya (or of a Ben2) was an (micro)SD card? Go back 20 years, when
there were no hard disks and we used disks to load the system... more
or less. I see a few pro's, but don't know what the cons may be.

Pro:

Hard switching operating systems: you can have openwrt in one card,
debian in another.
No disk failure problems: a disk fails, well, buy another
Bigger: the "ben2" could ship with the smalles possible (256mb? 512
mb? even 128 if they still sell!)  but could be upgraded to... say,
16gb (I've seen microSD that big, not cheap though).

The card could be placed like SIM cards are in a phone, in a sliding
compartment below the battery, even, not needing "outer space" to put
it in (and avoid risking removing it)

Cons:

I don't know, really. I guess there should be some?

Ruben