Using Firestarter to get your NanoNote on the Net

marc zonzon marc.zonzon at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 07:59:45 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 12:50 PM, cristian paul peñaranda rojas
<paul at kristianpaul.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 07:20:56PM -0700, mark adrian bell wrote:
>> I've been using the Firestarter firewall on Ubuntu for years now. One thing it offers is easy internet connection sharing. So today I thought I'd try it out with my NanoNote, and yes, it works! I know there are instructions on the Wiki for doing the same thing with IP tables, but this is bit easier for non-technical people like me.
>>
>> - Set up a USB ethernet link to your NN.
>> - Open Preferences -> Network Settings in Firestarter
>> - Set the Local network connected device to Usb0
>>    (See screenshot)
>> - Start the firewall. It wont start if there's a problem with your
>>   connection to the NN or to the net.
>> - On your NN, set the default gateway to address of your host computer,
>>   the one which is connected to the internet.
>>   For me, the address is 192.168.3.2, so I use:
>>   # route add default gw 192.168.3.2
>> - Still on your NN, make a file for /etc/resolv.conf. Mine is the same
>>   as the one on my host computer.
>> - Run Lynx on your NanoNote and enjoy the net!
>
> indeed firestarter will help on the host compuder to avoid iptables commands, but
> you still have to enter ip conofis and DNS in the nano,
>
> I know the nano arelady comes with an ip, but i think not a DNS ot gateway,
> if those optios are set by the default in the official image will help a lot
> may be using a public DNS and setting a gateway in  192.168.0.1
>
> Then in the host side firestarter could  be set to just the ip needed.
>
> Other i thing i think must come enable by deafult (if font already i dint check),
> is a rsycn server so we can use it to sync data wil the device.
>
> regards

Presently with an usb connection most of us connect the nano on a
laptop. If i had a bluetooth or wifi I would probably connect to my
gateway, and I would get a dhcp adress directly by the router wich is
yet setup to use iptables, act as a dns relay, ntp server...

But for going thru a laptop , setting up iptables seem quite
complicated, because as said you have also to give a gateway a
dnsserver, and if you want to connect your nano on many sites you have
to forward dhcp.

All that seems so complicated put beside the simplicity of a bridge,
in this case from outside you share the IP of your laptop., from the
laptop and bnn you appear as distinct.

To connect my nano is as simple as configuring my laptop to use a
bridge, then when connecting the nano:

ifconfig usb0 up
brctl addif br0 usb0

of course that it can be put in a post-up script.

But I don't understand why, nano users don't seem to like bridges!

Marc