Booting OpenWRT and Debian

Mirko Vogt lists at nanl.de
Sat Jun 12 05:45:53 EDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-06-12 at 09:50 +0200, Rubén Berenguel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there any way to have both Debian and OpenWRT installed in the same
> Nano without problems? I would like to keep porting OpenWRT packages,
> but to do so need a live box where I can test them, and now my nano
> (which is pretty useful with Debian... We need an emacs port for
> OpenWRT!) only has Debian... and I use it, so removing Debian is not
> an option.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> I have a microSD card where I could install Debian or OpenWRT... but I
> prefer to have it for backup purposes and swapfile and these things.
>
> Ruben

As the Ben has by default 4 partitions (bootloader, kernel, rootfs,
data), e.g. OpenWrt could be flashed into the rootfs-partition and
Debian into the data-partition.

Booting them should be able with U-Boot environments as OpenMoko does
for the Neos (http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Bootloader_environment).
This would require a working keyboard in uboot, however, if not already
done, this shouldn't be difficult, as the keyboard is GPIO-based.

Greets

mirko