mtd and ubifs

Bas Wijnen wijnen at debian.org
Sun Mar 14 07:30:04 EDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 12:19:32PM +0100, marc zonzon wrote:
> >> As I don't yet know uboot internals, I don't know where exactly is the
> >> kernel, and how uboot find it. I would need it to try a second kernel
> >> in micro-sd if possible?
> >
> > u-boot will read 2M data at 4M offset of nand.
> > for now u-boot can load the kernel at VFAT partition of sd card.
> >
> You mean mtd1 is vfat ?

No.  U-boot simply loads the image at offset 4M, which is where the
partition starts.  So the partition contains no file system, but a raw
kernel image.  (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not really familiar
with this.)

There are two special features included in u-boot, which allow the user
to boot from the micro-SD slot and USB respectively.  You need to hold a
key while powering on.  When booting from micro-SD, it will read the
kernel from a FAT file system on the card.

Thanks,
Bas