First questions

zhan han zhanhan.cn at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 02:08:14 EDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Brian Stuart <blstuart at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 9:50 PM, zhan han <zhanhan.cn at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Welcome, I thought Inferno too, do you mean a native Inferno or run it
>> from host?
>
> I have in mind doing a native port for a couple of reasons.  First, it's
> just plain more fun to get down to the bare metal.  Second, a native Inferno
> implementation will be a lot more comfortable with the resources than one
> that runs on top of Linux and X.
It should be like this, but a little more challenging.

>> You also can use zImage to boot, loaded by simple nandboot code.
>> The nandboot code can be found in xburst-tools git tree. Or you can do
>> your
>> own boot code based on the xburst-tools.
>
> It shouldn't be hard to build an Inferno image that looks like a Linux
> zImage.  Now would using nandboot require that the image sit in the kernel
> partition of the internal flash chip where the Linux kernel sits now?  I'd
> prefer to leave the Linux install intact while I work, but it may well be
> easiest to just put my image in its place.  Ideally, I'd like to move to
> being able to dual boot, but that's a ways down the road.
Well, I think develop on Ben could a little bit inconvenient.
Booting image from tftp much better, if the usb-net of u-boot could be used as
booting.
I have an other interesting idea, if there is a change that use xburst
usbboot as
a jtag interface,

>> I think the first step could be: test 0c/0l/0a see how it will work on
>> jz47xx.
>
> Yeah, that's definitely my first step.  In the past I've modified 5l to
> generate the format of image expected by the target platform and verified
For arm, maybe easier, for mips, lots work to be done i think,
especially in native mode.

> that I could generate code that I could download and run, usually just to
> flash an LED.  I figure on doing the same here, with 0c/0a/0l (though maybe
> with the buzzer if there's no LED I can directly control).  Once I get to
> that point, then I'm on to the real work of porting.
I suggest that you can use uart0 for low level print. You just need to
solder the
uart0 pins, under the battery, to a RS232 TTL converter and run minicom.
And u-boot console could be a good start too, you can do a lot of things in it.