Artha dictionary app

Daniel Clark dclark at pobox.com
Thu Mar 4 03:05:03 EST 2010

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 2:49 AM, Mirko Lindner <mirko at sharism.cc> wrote:
>> The problem seems to be that someone tried to create a special skin
>> called "qihw", and made it the default. We tried this at FSF too, and
>> came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the time unless you wanted
>> to spend a lot of staff time having someone become a mediawiki expert,
>> and then maintain it with each mediawiki dot release.
>
> That "secret" someone was me. I am not a big fan of the mediawiki style in
> general and not with the design it forces on the user. As I wanted a
> coherent design of all pages the top button bar simply didn't fit in.

"Intuitive" is usually code for "like I've done before somewhere".
Wikipedia is one of the top sites on the internet; almost everyone has
used it at least once. Likewise monobook is used on a crapload of web
sites. When people see a site that looks like it might be
mediawiki/monobook/wikipedia like, they make certain navigation
assumptions. When those assumptions turn out to be false, they feel
things are "unintuitive".

> Personally I would prefer those buttons to be in the left side-bar, but as
> everything worked so far with the buttons be down there I did not see a
> reason to move them again.

Lots of people who intimately understand mediawiki code maintain
monobook. Some of them have design clue. If having to scroll down to
the bottom of a page to login, or even see you *can* login (or are
already logged in) seems fine to you, perhaps it would be wisest to
deffer to them.

>> People can fix this for themselves by switching to the "MonoBook"
>> (default) mediawiki style. This also fixed a problem I was having with
>> the qihw design forcing a bottom scroll bar / text off the side of the
>> screen.
>
> Hm, never had that problem before. Is that still there?

Yes. Might be specific to Chromium. I'd wager monobook developers
probably have an account on one of those services that shows you what
your web pages look like in upteen browsers / operating systems.

I hope you don't end up throwing much more time down the
try-to-make-mediawiki-work-like-i-want-it-to time hole. It's not going
to make the nanonote any niftier :-(

Apologizing in advance for being far more grumpy than usual due to insomnia,
--
Daniel JB Clark | Free Software Activist | http://pobox.com/~dclark