New NanoNote user questions

Phil Endecott spam_from_qihw at chezphil.org
Thu Mar 18 13:10:59 EDT 2010

Hi Xiangfu, thanks for the reply.

Xiangfu Liu wrote:
> On 03/18/2010 10:48 PM, Phil Endecott wrote:

>> - How do the USB network MAC address(es) work? Where is it stored? Does
>> it have one for each end or something? (I see different addresses in
>> ifconfig on the device and on the PC.)
>
> it's generate by kernel.

Does anyone know what it's generated from?  Often there is some
persistent storage in the flash for this sort of thing.  Or is it random?

>> - Is there an easy way to set up DHCP?
>>
> what you mean? setup BEN's DHCP service?

No, DHCP client.  I would like it to auto-configure its networking when
I plug in the USB.  I would like to understand the MAC addresses
because my DHCP server associates fixed IP addresses with MAC addresses.

>> - Is there an easy way to change the console font size?
> in current image. it's static in kernel config.

>> - Has anyone tried changing the keyboard layout? (I would much prefer to
>> have numbers in a row.)
>
> it's not hard. modify the KERNEL/driver/char/defkeymap.map
> and create the defkeymap.c by:
> 	loadkeys -m defkeymap.map > defkeymap.c

>> - Can I make Page Up work to scroll up in the console?
>
> map the VOL_UP to PAGE_UP. VOL_DOWN to PAGE_DOWN.
> then you can use: "shift + pageup" and "shift + pagedown"
> to scroll the console.

Hmm, so are you saying that I can't use two modifiers (i.e.
shift+fn+up) due to some fundamental limitation?

Presumably remapping the volume keys requires a kernel change as
above.  It would be good to be able to do this dynamically.

>> - Does the power LED change colour when it's fully charged? Does it
>> charge while it is "off"?
>
> the LED only one color RED.

But it looks like the LED does go off when it is fully charged, and it
does charge when it is turned off.

Thanks,  Phil.