New NanoNote user questions

marc zonzon marc.zonzon at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 13:46:04 EDT 2010

I answer only some question

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Phil Endecott
<spam_from_qihw at chezphil.org> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> My new NanoNote arrived a couple of hours ago and I think I am going to
> enjoy playing with it.  I have some basic questions; can anyone help with
> these?  Thanks.
>
> - Has anyone installed Debian yet?
There are some projects to do so, and another one to install Jlime,
has someone yet succeeded ? I don't know, but if so he keeps it
secret!

> - How do I tell what SW version I have?
for the kernel: uname -a
for the packages: opkg list_intalled

> - How do the USB network MAC address(es) work?  Where is it stored?  Does it
> have one for each end or something?  (I see different addresses in ifconfig
> on the device and on the PC.)
Do you really want the mac address? most tools are at the IP level.
But in any case for a communication you need two ends, two distinct
mac addresses, two distinct IP numbers. I would be quite surprised to
see the same mac on the two ends, the number is supposed to be unique
to the interface card (even if you can fake one) and in this case the
communication would not be at an Ethernet level or upper.

> - Is there an easy way to set up DHCP?
dhclient3 and conf in /etc/config/network, but for an usb
communication you need to have your dhcp server, or a dhcp proxy on
the pc you connect to. Or set a bridge.

> - Can anyone recommend a (preferably UK or European) source of compatible
> WiFi cards?  Expansys lists the SDW-823, but it has an 8-day lead time and
> is quite expensive.
>
> - Is there an easy way to change the console font size?
>
> - Has anyone tried changing the keyboard layout?  (I would much prefer to
> have numbers in a row.)
>
> - Can I make Page Up work to scroll up in the console?
>
> - Does the power LED change colour when it's fully charged?  Does it charge
> while it is "off"?
>

> Many thanks,
>
> Phil.

I hope it can be usefull!