Suggestion on Wiki internationalization

David Reyes Samblas Martinez david at tuxbrain.com
Wed Mar 31 05:49:23 EDT 2010

Hi to all wiki contributors,
First of all a big "thank you"  to you all,
following are some suggested rules about best practices to localize
the Qi-Hardware wiki, I want to share/disscuss with you all

Before you create a page in your own language take a look if his
equivalent in english exist,

if so create it as [Whatever_URL_Name_of_English_Page]/[xx] where xx
is your language code (example:
http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Building_Software_Image/es)

If there is no English equivalent, please do a little effort and
translate your title to English and create the page following the
above URL schema anyway, this will automatically create an empty
English page that someone will find useful to fill.

For all those thinking: "WTF are you spitting all that english centric
sh$t I want to have an URL in my language!!!
You can have it also, and I encourage to do so! just create that page
with your own language url and put in that page
#REDIRECT [[[Whatever_URL_Name_of_English_Page]/[xx]]]

Localization has not to be exactly a clone of the english part, and
content can also be different and not a litteral translation (I just
do that way because am to lazy to be creative)  just maintiain some
coherence to not being lost navigating in different structures.

Of course is a wiki and everybody has the freedom to do whatever they
want if done with collaboration and share willing but, in order to
maintain some order :P, I will apply that rules in my collaborations
on translation to Spanish and I just want to share.

Of course(again) if anyone has a other approach , or any one knowing
better wiki internals has some suggestions I also like to know

Once agreed we can put that rules some where in the wiki  as part of a
wiki collaboration guide
Regards

--
David Reyes Samblas Martinez