RF and DTN networking

Stefan Schmidt stefan at datenfreihafen.org
Thu May 6 09:49:14 EDT 2010

Hello.

On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 11:51, JDH services wrote:

> I'm working on developing a low-power Delay Tolerant Network.

[...]

>  My first thought was to layer it on top of Zigbee, but Zigbee lacks a
> P2P architecture and it is proprietary.
> I then looked at making my own stack on top of IEEE 802.15.4.

Thats exactly what my study thesis I'm working on right now is about. Seems to
be an interesting research topic for different institutes. :)

> Wolfgang told me that they are evaluating HopeRF's RFM12B. it only
> goes up to 115.2 kbps in digital mode thou with an external RC filter
> highest data rate is 256 kbps data rate, but the FIFo can not be used
> in this mode and clock is not provided for the demodulated data.

I'm using an iMote2 here. PXA27x based system with a Chipcon CC2420 chip. It
does only work in the 2.4 GHz range of 802.15.4 but is able to to transfer up to
256 kbps which is the highest data rate you can get on 802.15.4

There is already a linux driver for the 802.15.4 linux stack and I fixed it up
the last weeks to actually work. In the next weeks I will be working on getting
our DTN implementation running over it.

The CC2420 is connected over SPI with 4 additional GPIOs (two in IRQ mode). So
that might be an option as well. The datasheet and errata are available on
the TI website.

regards
Stefan Schmidt