RF and DTN networking

Stefan Schmidt stefan at datenfreihafen.org
Thu May 6 13:28:15 EDT 2010

Hello.

On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 11:31, Tao Jin wrote:
> > There is already a linux driver for the 802.15.4 linux stack and I fixed it up
> > the last weeks to actually work. In the next weeks I will be working on getting
> > our DTN implementation running over it.
>
> could you provide more pointers to this?  Do you mean that the network
> layer stack on linux is available for cc2420?

Sure. What kind of pointer you are thinking about? :)

The linux mainline kernel has an ieee802154 stack:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=tree;f=net/ieee802154;h=48e7bdfeccc120de47c02cc568fb424c2c47c043;hb=722154e4cacf015161efe60009ae9be23d492296

This stack is by no means complete, security is missing for example, but it is a
very good starting point.

There is also a mac802154 stack in the works which shares a lot of the driver
functionality. This stack lives currently in the linux-zigbee tree which is the
route for such changes into the mainline kernel. Based on this stack there are
different drivers, one of them the cc2420:
http://linux-zigbee.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=linux-zigbee/kernel;a=tree;f=net/mac802154;h=e157a690678e100a5009e3275cf219a50c15a069;hb=c56954aaea644ae7533a6daa6659b25d39fa26fa

More info about the stack and its userland tools can you find here:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/linux-zigbee/

Are these the kind of pointers you where asking for?

regards
Stefan Schmidt