RF and DTN networking

JDH services jaydeeaich at gmail.com
Thu May 6 15:18:32 EDT 2010

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Stefan Schmidt
<stefan at datenfreihafen.org> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 11:51, JDH services wrote:
>>
>> I'm working on developing a low-power Delay Tolerant Network.
>
> [...]
>
>>  My first thought was to layer it on top of Zigbee, but Zigbee lacks a
>> P2P architecture and it is proprietary.
>> I then looked at making my own stack on top of IEEE 802.15.4.
>
> Thats exactly what my study thesis I'm working on right now is about. Seems to
> be an interesting research topic for different institutes. :)
>
>> Wolfgang told me that they are evaluating HopeRF's RFM12B. it only
>> goes up to 115.2 kbps in digital mode thou with an external RC filter
>> highest data rate is 256 kbps data rate, but the FIFo can not be used
>> in this mode and clock is not provided for the demodulated data.
>
> I'm using an iMote2 here. PXA27x based system with a Chipcon CC2420 chip. It
> does only work in the 2.4 GHz range of 802.15.4 but is able to to transfer up to
> 256 kbps which is the highest data rate you can get on 802.15.4

What type of goodput datarates you achieving?

I've looking into it and zigbee only goes up to a little over half the
raw bitrate.

> The CC2420 is connected over SPI with 4 additional GPIOs (two in IRQ mode). So

In the sub 1GHz area their CC1101 looks interesting with Programmable
data rate from 0.6 to 600 kbps

the CC11xx seem to be popular in China.

> that might be an option as well. The datasheet and errata are available on
> the TI website.

I've looking at TI's Low Power RF ICs

Sincerely,
Panthera Tigris Altaica